Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 13: A Key to an Unlocked Door

i see myself in the mirror
just a shadow of who they thought i should be
darker mind and bloodshot eyes
no longer sure who it is i see

my mind screams out into the void
who am i as i watch myself
i'm losing my light
and it's useless to try to fight

so i think i am losing my mind
i'm judging who i no longer know
myself in a mirror so far away
just a reflection of a man i use to know

images pass in my mind
brilliant and dull
but it's all too fast, and i can see
that i am no longer me

i want to run through the door
hide as i was before
but the reflection stands as a ghost
a specter without pity to host

i scream out to no one
maybe to everyone
and hear only silence as i drop to my knees
praying to some god impossible to set me free

the reflection laughs as i begin to cry
and i don't know what happened
as i lost track of the time
wasted away on the edge of a drunken dream

my mind is reeling, i begin to fear
as the prayer spills from my broken lips
i realize that the end is near
and i am just a shadow of who i once was

i look back into the mirror
and it's me as i was before
just a huddled down figure
lost and alone in the comfort of the dark

but i know i am new
a light in the listing darkness
wiser mind and clear blue eyes
no longer who i was thought to be

i see my reflection in the mirror
no longer a broken soul
but a man that holds a key
to an unlocked door

---

this is actually a different version of an earlier poem i wrote called "god impossible", hopefully it is better, and if not, hopefully it stands on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment